Saturday, September 25, 2021

Chapter Seven, Determination


The darkness doesn't seem as dark as before, everything seems so crystal clear, and the sounds are so vivid. I can hear everything in high definition. I've walked and walked for what seemed like an eternity, and I have no idea where I'm going yet, but I know I must get as far away from here as I possibly can. My heart breaks as I know I will never see Chris again. I still love him despite everything that has happened. I want to hate him, but I find that I miss him more and more the further I get. I push those feelings back as I have made my mind up. I was so tired of everyone trying to do what they wanted with me that I was going to make my own destiny and do what I wanted with my life. I didn't know what the future had in store for me, but I was going to try to make the best of it.

My new condition had me concerned because I didn't know much about it at all. All I knew was that we could survive on food and could deal with day or night, but the blood thing was going to be my problem. If Chris had not forced me to drink his blood, I would have refused. I know I craved it, but still, how was I going to deal with it on my own. I would never want to take anyone's life and defiantly don't want anyone to know about me. If what he says is true about me being the last female of my kind, that would explain why I was being hunted literally my whole life.

It was weird having teeth like this all the time. I keep biting my lip and trying to hide them when I went to talk was going to be a challenge. How did Chris do it? I never noticed his teeth before, and then it hits me. That's why he never kissed me any deeper than what he did. I would have surely discovered the secret that he was hiding from me. My anger grows when I think of how he betrayed me.

I finally get to a small family store, and I got to get something to eat. I feel like I'm wasting away, but I must be very careful. I look in the window to check my appearance. I didn't know what made our eyes red, but that would give me away. I could hide my teeth, but that would give me away for sure. I head in, trying to keep to myself. The store is pretty much empty other than a few people not paying me no mind. I walk over and grab water out of the cooler and then grab a bag of chips and then a sandwich out of another cooler. As I head to the counter, I pass by and see some hair dye. I get the idea to try to change my appearance, so if I did run across Chris or my uncle, I would have a chance to get away without them noticing. I grab for blond since my hair was brown; this would make a difference. I make my way to the counter, keeping my eyes down as I pass everyone. I place my stuff on the counter, and the clerk rings it up.

"That will be twenty-four dollars maim," she says. I reach in and pull out my wallet and hand her the cash. She hands me my change, and I get my bag heading out without having to say anything.

When I get outside, I let out the breath that I was holding. I walk around the corner and sit on the curve, placing my backpack and bag beside me. I start with the water first, then finish off my chips and sandwich, which was yummy but a little bit of a challenge. It's going to take me forever to get used to these teeth. How in the world did he do it? I shove all the empty packages into the bag and push it into my backpack. I got to find a bathroom to dye my hair. I wasn't looking forward to it because I loved my long brown locks of hair. I walk around the corner, and I see the public bathroom sign. I head in and lock the door behind me.

I got to be quick, but this was going to take some time to do. I would hate to mess my hair up and make me more of a site to spot out. I pull the box out and read the instructions very carefully. I put the gloves on and massage the contents into my hair. I look in the mirror, and I look like an idiot. I hope this works. I place the little bag over my head, waiting for it to set while I timed it. The twenty-five minutes seemed to take forever, and I could only pray no one had to use the bathroom while I looked like this. Finally, it was time to rinse it out. I pull the bag off and place my head under the little facet in the bathroom. As the water runs over my head, I can see the coloring run down the drain. When I think it’s all washed out, I ring it out as best as I can. I pull out my brush and brush it out in the mirror. My brown hair was now blond, which made me look pale, but it defiantly changed my appearance drastically. After I get it, all brushed out, I pull out my hoodie and place it on pulling the hood over my wet hair. With one last look, I unlock the door and head out, leaving the store behind.    

When I reach the next town, it's a small town with a lot of small businesses. The neighborhood was smaller than what I just came from, and I wondered what I was going to do about a place to live. I knew I needed to get a job, but that was going to be a little difficult with these dang teeth, but I had to do something. It's almost daylight, and I got to find a place to rest. Walking through town, I see a local park, and there are woods nearby, so I head in that direction. I step back into the woods where it looks like no one normally goes and set my backpack on the ground. I lie on the ground and use my backpack as a pillow. I drift off in a troubled sleep.

I wake with a jolt as my body jerks. Usually, I was always waking up with nightmares, but this time I wasn't sure what exactly woke me up. I stretch out with sore muscles and set up taking in my surroundings. It's still dark, and I'm still tired. I sit there for a little bit watching the stars and find myself slipping, falling, and tumbling in my dreams of what seemed to be a never-ending battle of love and hate for Chris. His hazel eyes that now are fire red haunt me. I can't wrap my head around what he told me, and none of this was making any sense to me. It didn't matter what he said we were, I was a monster, no different from the bloodsuckers in all the stories I read when I was a child. I didn't know what my future held, but it sure scared the hell out of me.

I see myself as if I was looking at another person. I'm wearing a red dress with spaghetti straps with a slit running up my leg. I'm going somewhere, but I can't see it. I follow in her wake as she heads to............ Chris! What is he doing here?

“Don't go, stupid girl,” I shout.

She pays me no mind as she runs into his arms. He pulls her close and glares down at her with his red eyes and fangs. He moves her hair and sinks his teeth into her neck, letting blood trail down her neck, then down to her dress. I turn away and run, leaving them in the distance. When the scene changes, I see these evil creatures that are chasing me, trying to kill me when I see my uncle in the distance. I stop and look for another route to take, and when I think I have just outrun them both, I run and see Chris. I stop with panic on what to do now. I'm surrounded by monsters with no possible escape. I watch them all coming from different directions and freeze in fear of which one will reach me first and rip me apart. 

Panic sets in as I wake with arms grabbing me. My eyes spring open and its Chris, and he's got me over his shoulder carrying me like a sack of potatoes.

"Put me down," I yell as I kick my legs and beat my hands on his back. "Leave me alone!" I yell at him.

 "You can't be alone right now," he says as his grip tightens around my thighs.

"You have no right," I yell.

 "I don't care, Kristen, you can hate me all you want, you are vulnerable, and whether you like it or not, you need me," he says.

"I don't need you; I can make it on my own," I huff as I dangle from his shoulders.

 "Oh yeah," he says, in one swift motion I'm set on my feet face to face with him.

 He drops my backpack on the ground, and I'm stunned by his reaction. He reaches over and bites his wrist, letting the blood drip to the ground. My mouth goes dry, and I know I want to drink from him. I step back and cover my mouth.

"You are not playing fair," I say as my throat burns.

 “Exactly, you are not going to be able to do this on your own, I will teach you," he says as he picks up my backpack, then hosts me over his shoulder again making me squall out.

"I can walk on my own, thank you," I yell as I hang upside down.

 "I'm not taking any risks on losing you again. I've already lost you twice, and I will not do it again. I will tie you to me if I have to," he says as he marches on.

We get out of the wood line, and I see his car parked on the side of the road. He opens the back door to his car and slings my backpack in the seat. He closes the door, then reaches for the front passenger side door, once he opens the door, he puts me on my feet. With utter defeat, I climb in the front seat and give Chris a glare of disapproval. It doesn't seem to faze him as he reaches across me, buckling my seat belt. His scent hits me, and I close my eyes, trying to shut out my body's reaction to him. Shutting my door, I watch him walk across the front of the car heading to his door. He climbs in, starting the engine without even looking at me. Taking a glance, he pulls out and we're on the road heading to god knows where.

 "So, I'm your prisoner now?" I ask.

 "Kristen, you're not my prisoner, I just need to explain a few things to you, so you understand what's going on. You are overreacting, and I need you to know the truth," he says as a way of explanation.

"I think you have told me enough to where I have made my mind up on wanting nothing to do with you," I tell him, making him flinch.

"Try to keep an open mind," he says as he turns up a driveway.

"Where are we going?" I ask.

 "My house," he replies.

"So why even pretend to be a teenager and befriend me, just to lie and betray me?" I ask.

"Think about it Kristen, if I told you the truth the first time, we meet do you think you would have even given me a chance to show you a part of this world. You would have exposed me and you leaving us venerable to the hunters that will not give up till they find us and wipe us out of existence," he tells me.

"Well, you could have at least told me something to hint around to it after you let me fall in love with you only to...... I say as he cuts me off.

 "Stop Kristen, I know you are angry with me but don't push my patience," he says with a tone that shuts me down completely.  My heart sinks as the Chris that was so sweet, and kind was now someone I didn't know.

Followers