Saturday, September 25, 2021

Chapter Six, Awakening

          I wake up, and I'm so relieved to finally be out of my nightmare. It was so different this time, Chris was trying to kill. I let out a breath, as I try to calm my nerves when my attention all a sudden is drawn to the sounds of the insects singing in the night. Then a beating sound drowns out everything else. It's a heartbeat that's beating fast with almost no breathing. Panic sets in as I sit up in my bed, drawing my covers tight around me. I dare not look because I'm afraid of what I will find. I let my eyes scan the room, and when I see Chris in the far part of the room setting on my vanity chair, I stop breathing. Then with the realization of what just happened, I find myself awake in my nightmares.

Tears run down my cheeks again, but I make no move. Was he one of the monsters that I was running from? Could he be one of them that wanted me at my uncle's house that night? Was he one of them that were in the basement ready to finish me off and finally found me? If he was, then why didn't he finish me off when we first meet, instead of letting me fall in love with him? My feelings are mixed towards him. I'm scared and feel betrayed by the one man I thought loved me. When I look closer at him, he looks distraught with a haunted look on his face. I can't imagine why he would be upset. He was the one that attacked me, and I'm not sure what he did to me because I'm not dead.

He stands up and starts moving toward me, and panic sets in. Before he can get close to me, I have wedged myself up against the wall to try to stay away from him. He stops mid-step; he looks hurt by my reaction. I really don't care how he feels, this man is a monster in its true form. He runs his hand through his hair, and when he looks back at me, the pain is there again, and his eyes blaze red.

"Stay away from me," I shout as I throw my hands up to defend myself.

He looks horrified, he slowly takes a step backward. My heart is racing, and all my senses are in overload.

"Please," he says.

 "Don't," I shout. My throat goes dry as if it just became a desolate desert dying for just one drop of water. I grab at my throat as to try to stifle the flames that burn.

In my distraction, Chris manages to get right in front of me. He grabs me, and I don't have time to even protest or fight him. He takes my head and pushes it toward his throat, desire overtakes me. His blood, I want his blood, I want to have it......"No," I shove at him.

He pulls back just a fraction and bites into his wrist with his pointy teeth, my mouth waters. Why did he have to go and do that? I'm so confused, but he makes it so clear when he pushes his wrist to my lips. The blood runs down his wrist as he holds it in front of me. My mouth waters and the smell of his blood is overwhelming. I take his wrist into my mouth and suck, a frenzy sets in, I can’t get enough, it’s drowning me in a bliss that I had never felt before. I feel like an animal ready to consume him, all of him.

He pulls his wrist out of my hands, leaving me wanting more. He leans towards me and licks my lips, cleaning up his spilled blood. My mouth drops, and he leans back. He shifts off the bed, walking over to the window. He doesn’t look at me, just stairs out the window that reflects the golden locks of hair that hangs down the sides of his face. Reality hits, and I find myself angry at just the sight of him. "What did you do to me?" I demand.

He looks over at me with those hazel eyes of his that melt me from the inside out. He looks like Chris, my Chris, that I have always known, and it’s painful. I decide to let him explain what he just did to me, now that he finally snapped out of his maddened state.

I leap off the bed, darting toward him. He turns as I collide with him. We fall to the floor, with him on his back. I’m on top of him, hitting him in the chest with my fists as I cry. He lays there, letting me hit him, he never once tries to stop me.

            “Why, why did you do this to me. I loved you, and you betrayed me like this. You're cruel.” I slowly stop hitting him as all the emotions overrun me. I’m angry, sad, and broken all at once.

            “I’m sorry,” he says in a whisper. His eyes are full of tears as he looks up at me. His hazel eyes bewitch me, I can’t look at him. I get up and move to the other side of the room. I stare at the wall as my heart pounds in my chest.

            I can hear him get up off the floor. He stands in the same spot, motionless. I can hear him cry softly. My heart breaks, I want to run to him, but I can’t. I feel myself trembling all over, I try to calm my racing heart, as my mind runs wild.

            Time seems to stand still as the silence in the room is defining. He hasn’t moved or said anything since I moved off him. Every now and then, I can hear him sniff. I can no longer take the silence. I dart toward the door, only to be blocked by Chris.

            “Leave me alone,” I shout at him. I got to get out of here, I can’t bear to be near him.

            “Let me talk,” he says as he regards me with pleading eyes. Those damn eyes. I turn away from him, I can’t do this. The panic sets in, and I can only see the window. I take off in a fast run that takes Chris off guard. I jump, hitting the window with full force. The glass shatters as I go right through it. The glass cuts through my arms and legs as I clear the window frame. Shit! I hadn’t really thought this through. I’m now falling from my two-story bedroom window, with nothing to stop my fall. I hit the ground with a sickening sound. My arm lights up with pain, I roll over to see my arm twisted in a horrible angle.

            As I get to my feet, I hear Chris jump from the window, landing only a few feet from me. I turn to see him walking over towards me with angry red eyes. I step backward, as my throat seizes up. I stumble back, but I don’t fall, Chris has ahold of my arm to steady keep me steady. In one fast motion, he has me in his arms. He doesn’t say anything as he walks toward the house. I know there is no way I can outrun him with my broken arm, and all the cuts on my body. He carries me up the steps to my room. He shuts the door with his foot before heading with me to the bathroom. He sets me down on the tub, giving me a look of anger that I have never seen before.

            “Don’t move, I mean it, Kristen,” he says. He walks over to the sink, pulling the towel from the hook on the wall. He wets it, then walks back over to me. I sit quietly as he sets on the commode beside the tub. He takes ahold of my arm first. I winch in pain, as he starts cleaning off all the blood. I look at my arms and legs, I’m stunned with how bad the window cut me. I’m covered in blood, lots of blood.

            He makes quick work on getting all the glass out of my cuts that run along my arms and legs. I don’t say anything, knowing he would probably scold me for the little stunt I just pulled. I was still mad at him for what he did, but the situation had me at a disadvantage. I stare at his golden locks that fall across his face as he leans over, working on my legs.

            “Ouch,” I screech as he pulls out a big piece of glass.

            “This is all your fault. What the hell were you thinking when you decided to jump out of a two-story window?”

            I don’t say anything, I just look down at the floor. He stands, dropping the towel down at my feet. Before I have a chance to react, he has me on my feet. He starts to undress me, making my heart leap.

            “What the fuck, Chris!”

            “You’re a mess, you need a shower to get all the glass and blood off. I’m not taking any more chances.”

            “I can do this myself,” I say as I pull the edge of my shirt out of his hands.

            “Fine, I will be right outside the door, don’t pull anything. I will come in this bathroom, with you naked or not,” he warns. He walks out of the bathroom, shutting the door behind him. I can hear him lean against the door.

            I pull off my shirt, very careful with my broken arm. The pain is intense with a burning, hot feeling. I try to keep it as close to a normal position as I can. I finish undressing, with a lot of pain. My arm is burning like it’s on fire. When I move my hand along the skin, it’s hot and red. I step into the shower, letting the hot water run down my head. I feel exhausted and want nothing but to wake up from this nightmare that seems so real. I watch the blood mix with the water on the bottom of the tub as it runs down the drain.

            A soft knock on the door snaps me out of my trance. I look over at the door, waiting for Chris to come in. I grip the shower curtain as I watch the door.

            “Kristen, are you ok in there?”

            “Yes, don’t you come in here, I will be done in a few minutes,” I snap.

            I finish washing up, satisfied that all the glass and blood is gone, I step out of the tub very carefully. I pull the towel off the hook that is beside the shower. I dry off as carefully as I can. Looking over the cuts on my arms, they are now almost closed. My mouth falls open. Tiny purple marks are on my skin, with some still fresh scratches. I know there were deep gashes on my legs and arms when I got in the shower. I remember watching Chris pull glass shards out of several deep wounds. I step over the blood and glass that is still on the floor to get to my bathrobe that is hanging on the bathroom door. I slip it on carefully, then walk over to the sink to brush out my hair.

            I begin to brush my hair out a little bit rough, as I look in the mirror, a pale-faced girl looks back at me. I move my hair from my neck to see what he did to me. I still remember the pain, it felt like he was ripping my neck wide open. My neck has strange faint purple marks where I remember the pain. I run my fingers along the side of my neck, feeling the smooth skin.

            What is he? What did he do to me? Is he a vampire? I’m running all this through my head when I hear my name. “Kristen.” My attention snaps toward the door. I reach over, locking the door. I step back, keeping my eyes on the door. My heart is pounding as the vision of vampires play in my mind. No, they are not real, no they can’t be real. Kristen, you have really gone crazy this time, I scream inside my mind.

            “Kristen, don’t overthink things, let me explain,” he says through the door.

            I feel sick to my stomach; my body feels so weak. I give in and slid down the wall, sobbing into my hands. I hear the doorknob rattle, and Chris talking. I don’t make out what he’s saying through my cries. The door shoves open, and Chris walks in. His eyes are stained from his tears, with a worried look.

            “Kristen, calm down, it’s ok, I promise. Let me explain,” he says as he slowly reaches over, placing his hand on my knee. I can’t help the sudden uneasy, feeling his touch brings. I pull back out of reflex. His hand pulls back, he regards me carefully. Let’s get out of the bathroom, it’s covered in your blood, let me talk to you in the bedroom, please.”

            He stands up, steps toward the door, waiting on me to move. I slowly get to my feet, slowly walking towards the door. When we get to the bedroom, I walk over to the bed. I set down, and my limbs grow heavy.

            “How is your arm?”

            “It still hurts, it’s been burning since I broke it.” I reflectively pull my arm to my chest.

            “Can I look at it?” he asks as he holds his hand out. “Please, I will not do anything that you don’t want me to. I just want to make sure it’s ok.”

            “It’s broke, there is nothing that you can do,” I say with a hateful tone.

            “I know it is broke, it probably needs set before it finishes healing, it’s already healing fast,” he says.

            “Fine, but if you do anything, I will scream bloody murder,” I warn.

            “I promise,” he says as he takes my arm in his hands. Those strong hands that I loved to hold me. Now his touch brings me pain. His fingers move along my arm, and I want to pull away. He then let’s go of my arm. He steps back only a few feet, then looks at the shattered window. “I still can’t believe you actually ran through the window like that. Were you trying to kill yourself?” he asks as he looks back over at me.

            “Honestly, I just wanted to get away from you, it didn’t matter if I lived or died,” I say with a little bit of hatred laces my tone.

            Chris’s face falls, and he looks devastated. “Why, do you hate me that much? I know what I did was wrong, I hate myself for what I did, I was scared. I was scared that you wouldn’t except me for who I am and what I had to do. I was afraid you would leave me.”

 "So, instead of talking to me, you just attack me like some dark scene out of a movie.”

“Kristen, I didn’t look at it that way. I didn’t plan this, I let my emotions control me. I grew weak and let my guard down. I wanted you in my world so bad that I didn’t think about how you would take it. We all have gone through this, so I wasn’t thinking.”

What are you?" I demand.

"We are Pure Bloods, you and me," he says as he turns back to the window.  

"What does that even mean? You are not making any sense." My mind is running wild again. I can’t comprehend all this; the whole scene is a complete mess.

“You have to have an open mind to this," he says as he turns back to me.  

"Fine, but if you even try to touch me......."

"Kristen, I will not touch you unless you want me too. I will not betray you ever again," he says with pain laced in his voice. This was enough betrayal to last a lifetime. He takes in a deep breath as he tries to think about where to start.

"We are Pure Bloods as I told you earlier, what that means is that I was not always like this. Before the awakening, you look, feel, and act like any other human would. When you are awakened, you look like me. Your traits of being a Pure Blood are asleep the whole time, so when you awaken, your human traits die, and your Pure Blood ones take over.

"Stop, wait. So, what you are saying is we are monsters, like blood-sucking vampires? Because that is what all this just reminded me of." I shout at him.

"Kristen listen, I will tell you everything, but you got to let me ease you into all this information, so you don't go into overload," he explains.

"I think it’s a little too late, don’t you? I want to know everything right now. No more waiting for this and that, I want it all," I yell at him.

He sighs and runs his hand through his hair. “We are not Vampires, but a unique race, I not sure how we came to be, but we are different, I promise. We are not monsters, but we are not human either. We still have our humanity, unlike half-bloods, that are what every human calls a vampire.”

"How did I not know? You were here in the daylight, and even ate regular food?" I ask.

“We eat regular food, and the sunlight doesn't bother us. I told you we are not like half-bloods,” he says.

 "So why now?" I ask.

"Because I was waiting for you to love me for me and not because you had to." 

"I don't understand, what do you mean when you say because I had to?" 

"I will explain that later, you need to rest, your body has been through a lot.”

I flop back onto my pillows and cover my face with my hand. I'm so overwhelmed with everything that I begin to sob. Tears run down my cheeks as I cry.

"Don't cry.  I know this is a lot to take in, but I will do as much as I can to help you through this. “Do you hate me?" he asks.

"No, but I'm confused about how to feel," I reply through my sobs.

"I opened you up to the real world that you belong in. I took the world you knew and destroyed it," he says. I sit up, and suddenly I feel bad.

 "I don't know what to think about it all. I just wish I could have known about it first before it happened. Why could you not ask me if I wanted this or even talk about what you are? Why did you think it was ok to just turn me into whatever Pure Bloods mean," I shout as I wave my hands around in the air?

 "I did what I had to because I could not take a chance of you changing your mind to be awakened. I thought it would have frightened you, I feared that you would have had no part of this world," he explains.

"Well I'm scared to death, and don't know if I want anything to do with you or your world" I shout at him. 

“I feel like I have been running from everyone, and now the monster finally found me," I cry out.

"What do you mean you have been running from monsters?" he asks.

"I have not been totally honest with you. I lived with my uncle since I was a small child when my parents died in a car accident that left me alone. When you first met me, those injuries were from the man I thought was my uncle. He tried to kill me, and there were others. I don't know who they were. I never got to see their faces, I only heard their voices before I escaped,” I explain to him.

“They must have known who you were. They are called Hunters. They have been trying to wipe us out for centuries,” he says as his face fills with a concerned look.

” How did you know who I was?" I ask.

“I have known you since you were a child."

I jump up, face to face with him. "You're telling me that you have known me since I was a child," I shout.

He places his hands on my arms, making me jerk away from him. I walk over to the window and glare out into the darkness as my temper rises. "Were the last," he finally says.

"What?" I shout as I spin toward him.

"I told you that hunters were trying to make us extinct, and we are the last. I lost track of you after the accident, you were hurt from the accident. When I came back, you were gone from your bed. I have been searching for you since then," he says.

 "I don't care if I was the last female on earth you should have talked to me first and been truthful with me. What if I had not chosen this for myself? It's my life, and I should have got to choose my own fate," I say with a sharp tone. "I need time to think about all this, and I just can't do it with you here," I manage.

"You want me to leave?" he asks with horror on his face.

 "Yes, please, I think you have succeeded in destroying my life, so now you can leave me alone," I say with too much hate in my tone.

“That's fine, have it your way? You only see me as a monster anyway, so why do I even bother with you at all," he says as he storms out of the room.

 I sit there numb, replaying everything that just happened. He is a monster I keep telling myself. He took your life from you and made you a vampire.  I head into the bathroom to see what he did to me. I step in front of the mirror, and to my shock, I thought I would be covered in blood from what he did. I rub my neck where he bit me and I but don't feel anything. I should have a big gash, teeth marks or something there.     

I move to the sink and look at myself in the mirror, and I'm stunned. There is no blood on me. How can that be? I felt like he drank almost all my blood. The only thing left to remind me of that night are faint purple marks where his teeth pierced my neck.  I look at my skin, and it looks perfect. I don't even need makeup; this is a plus. I smile at myself for the first time, and my teeth make me freeze. I move closer to the mirror. I have fangs, teeth that vampires do. My finger runs over one of them and nicks my finger. In fascination, I watch the drop of blood form on my finger then drop into the sink. Out of reflex, I put it in my mouth and suck the blood off. It stops only seconds after I did it. A little purple mark only remains. Ha, another perk to this. Perfect skin, healing ability, and teeth like Chris.

“Vampire," I mouth at myself.

Now with everything that was going on already in my life, I had to deal with this. I felt like I was losing my mind. Times like these I wish I had my mom here to hold me and tell me everything was alright. I'm sure if what he is telling me held any truth in it at all, my parents would have told me about it. They would have prepared me for this. I was just slung into this with no warning at all. How could he not warn me? I replay Chris attacking me, and it hurts me. Everyone in my life that I have ever loved has attacked me. I don't want anything to do with him right now, and I don't feel any safer here than I did when I was at my uncle's house.

With a heavy heart, I head back into the bedroom and grab the backpack that I kept in the closet and place it on the bed as I dig some clothes out of the dresser. I pack a few clothes and then head to the bathroom once again to grab a few essentials. I put everything in my backpack and pull the phone out that Hannah gave me. I had talked to her last week, and I knew she had planned a trip down to see me, but I couldn't stay or have her in my life and endanger her any further. I place the phone on the dresser and zip the backpack up.

I go to leave, but the thought of not leaving Marie a note seemed cruel. She was so nice to take me in when I was a mess that I owed her a little bit of an explanation. I grab my pen and a piece of paper. "Marie, you have been so kind, and I will never be able to repay you for your kindness. You were like the mother I never had. I've got to head back and sort out my life, I hope you understand why I must leave so sudden. Tell Hannah hi, and I'm sorry I could not be here when she comes. Thank you, Kristen. I head downstairs as quietly as I can and place the note on the table. Walking out the door, I take one last look as I close it and head out into the darkness. 

My emotions are all over the place with all the new changes that I have gone through since Chris turned me into what he calls a Pure Blood. I'm so torn, leaving Chris and Marie, but I know I don't belong in their world. Tears streak down my cheeks as my heartbreak comes back, rearing its ugly head. All the betrayal from everyone that I had ever loved was becoming too much for me to bear. I cry softly as I head down the driveway in the middle of the night. 


Followers